Sponsor is the New-York Historical Society, 170 Central Park West, New York, NY 10024, USA ("Sponsor" or "N-YHS").
The 2014 New-York Historical Society Black Fives Photo Contest begins January 7, 2014 at 9:00:00 a.m. US Eastern Time and ends February 24, 2014, 11:59:00 p.m. US Eastern Time ("ET") (the "Contest"). Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these official rules ("Official Rules"). By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to the Official Rules and warrants that his or her entry complies with all requirements set out in the Official Rules. This is a skill-based contest and chance plays no part in the determination of winners.
WHO MAY ENTER
Eligibility: Contest is open only to legal residents of the United States who are in 9th through 12th grades at the time of entry, and who meet the Admissions Criteria described below in “Judging Criteria and Conditions.” You must have permission from a parent or legal guardian to enter the Contest. If selected as a Finalist, you will be required to provide your parent or legal guardian’s written consent to your participation, and if you fail to provide such written consent within three business days of the request then you may be disqualified. Employees of the New-York Historical Society and its affiliates and subsidiaries, and family members or people living in the same household with such individuals, are not eligible to participate.
HOW TO ENTER
All entries must be submitted in digital format through our online entry form. To enter, please go to our online entry form and follow the step-by-step directions on that page. Submit an original photograph, taken by you that conveys what breaking barriers in basketball and making history means to you (“Photograph”). Include a title for the Photograph, a written description (about 200 words) of the “moment” captured and how it reflects the way in which basketball have profoundly changed New York City history, United States history, or your own personal history (“Description”), the location where the Photograph was taken, and the names of any persons in the Photograph (if known). Your entry must comply with the following requirements (the “Entry Requirements”):
- All photograph submissions must be 5 megabytes or smaller, must be in JPEG or JPG format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 1,600 pixels tall (if a vertical image).
- Minor burning, dodging and/or color correction is acceptable. Hand tinting is acceptable, as is cropping. Fish-eye lenses are acceptable. High dynamic range images (HDR) and stitched panoramas are acceptable only if the combined parts are all made around the same time. Any changes to the original Photograph not itemized here are unacceptable and will render the Photograph ineligible for a prize.
- Photographs that include sculptures, statues, paintings, and other works of art will be accepted as long as they do not constitute copyright infringement or fraud. When photographing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close up of another person’s art.
- The Photograph and the Description, each in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the contest entrant. By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges and warrants that the submitted Photograph and Description are original works created solely by the entrant and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the Photograph or the Description.
- Though you retain copyright in each image submitted, the digital image file(s) submitted will not be returned or acknowledged.
- Obscene, provocative, or otherwise objectionable content will not be considered, and such determination is solely at the discretion of Sponsor.
- Each entrant may submit up to five Photographs and accompanying Description.
The entries will be judged in accordance with the Judging Criteria, as defined below.
All entries must be submitted and received by February 24, 2014 at 11:59 pm EDT. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt.
If the Photograph contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, the entrant is responsible for obtaining any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the Photograph in the manner set forth in these Official Rules without additional compensation. Where feasible, entrants should obtain a personal release from all persons who appear in the Photograph submitted, authorizing use of the Photograph in Sponsor’s promotional materials to feature the winning entry, without compensation, permission or notification, unless prohibited by law. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
Each entrant retains the copyright to his/her Photograph(s) and Description(s), but explicitly grants Sponsor, its licensees, affiliates and their designees (collectively, the “Authorized Parties”) an irrevocable, nonexclusive license for the duration of copyright to use each Photograph and Description for advertising, marketing, and promotional purposes, in any and all media now known or hereafter created, including but not limited to publication in catalogs, brochures, blogs, and websites, at Authorized Parties’ discretion, without additional consideration, notification, permission to entrant or any third party.
THE WINNER IS REQUIRED TO SIGN THE FOLLOWING: (1) AN AFFIDAVIT OF ELIGIBILITY AND LIABILITY RELEASE; (2) WARRANTY OF OWNERSHIP AND LICENSE; AND (3) PUBLICITY RELEASE, UNLESS PROHIBITED BY LAW, WITHIN 15 DAYS FROM THE DATE OF NOTICE IN ORDER FOR SPONSOR TO AWARD THE PRIZE. NONCOMPLIANCE OR RETURN OF PRIZE NOTIFICATION AS UNDELIVERABLE MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION AND SELECTION OF AN ALTERNATE WINNER.
- One (1) Grand Prize Winner, one (1) Second Place Winner, and one (1) Third Place Winner will be selected. The Grand Prize is a $1,000 college scholarship. The Grand Prize winner must meet the Admissions Criteria described below in “Judging Criteria and Conditions.”
- Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of Grand Prize is $1,000 college scholarship.
- Second Place Prize is a $250 gift certificate to the New-York Historical Society Museum Store or web site (www.nyhistorystore.com/). The ARV of the Second Place Prize is $250.Third Place Prize is a $100 gift certificate to the New-York Historical Society Museum Store or web site (www.nyhistorystore.com/). The ARV of the Third Place Prize is $100.
- Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received and skill of the entrant.
JUDGING CRITERIA AND CONDITIONS
The contest consists of two (2) rounds of evaluation. The Judges will use the same Judging Criteria in each round. The top candidates in Round One will proceed to Round Two.
In Round One, a team of judges will evaluate the entries based on the following criteria, and will select the top entries by applying those criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
- Photographic Quality (50%)
- Extent to which the Photograph conveys a the way in which basketball have profoundly affected your life, New York City history, or United States history (25%)
- The quality of the Description and its relationship to the Photograph, as well as to the theme of breaking barriers in basketball and making history (25%)
Up to 30 top entries in Round One will be selected as Finalists and will proceed to Round Two. All Finalists will be contacted by Email and asked to submit a release form signed by a parent or legal guardian agreeing to the terms described herein. If Sponsor does not receive the signed parental release within three business days of Sponsor’s email request, the finalist may be disqualified, and may not proceed to Round Two.
In Round Two, a panel of Judges will evaluate the top entries from Round One and select a potential Grand Prize winner based on the Judging Criteria.
Once the Grand Prize winner is confirmed, the Judges will select a Second and Third Place winner based on the Judging Criteria. Decisions of the Judges are final.
Judging will be conducted by an independent panel of judges. Decisions of the judges will be final and shall not be subject to appeal.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
By participating, participants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless National Geographic Society and its partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, tour operators, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Contest or any Contest-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder.
National Geographic Society assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to Contest entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms. NGS is not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrants’ or any other persons’ computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading or downloading of any materials related to in this Contest.
THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. Entrants agree that this Contest shall be subject to and governed by the laws of New York and the forum for any dispute shall be in New York, United States of America. To the extent permitted by law, the right to litigate, to seek injunctive relief or to make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or on connection with this Contest are hereby excluded and any entrant expressly waives any and all such rights. Certain restrictions may apply. Entries are void if the Sponsor determines the photograph to not be an original, or if the entries are illegible, incomplete, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error, obtained through fraud or theft or do not meet the eligibility criteria outlined above.
Participants also agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules; and (b) that the decisions of the Judges are final on all matters relating to the Contest. All federal, state and local taxes, fees and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winner. In the event that the selected winner(s) of any prize are/is ineligible or refuses the prize, the prize will be forfeited and Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may choose whether to award the prize to another winner.
RIGHT TO CANCEL OR SUSPEND CONTEST
If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, due to infection by computer virus, bugs, worms, trojan horses, denial of service attacks, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of N-YHS that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, N-YHS reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual(s) who tamper with the entry process, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest. If Sponsor elects to cancel or terminate the Contest, Sponsor will not retain any rights to the submitted photographs.
For names of the winners and select Finalists, visit blackfives.nyhistory.org after February 24, 2014.
Entrants agree that personal data, especially name and address, may be processed, shared and otherwise used for the purposes and within the context of the Contest and any other purposes outlined in these Official Rules. The data may also be used by the Sponsor in order to verify the participant’s identity, postal address and telephone number or to otherwise verify the participant’s eligibility to participate in the Contest. Participants have the right to access, review, rectify or cancel any personal data held by Sponsor by writing to Sponsor at 170 Central Park West, New York, NY 10024. Personal data will be used by Sponsor and its affiliates exclusively for the purposes stated herein.
NOTICE TO INDIVIDUALS: REMOVAL FROM MAILING LIST: Any individual (or other duly authorized person) may elect to exclude the name and address of that individual from all lists used by the New-York Historical Society to mail skill contests or sweepstakes. To elect to have an individual’s name excluded from all such lists, submit a removal request in writing to: New-York Historical Society, Attention: N-YHS Contests, 170 Central Park West, New York, NY 10024. This notification system may be used to prohibit mailing of all skill contests or sweepstakes by New-York Historical Society to such individual.